The sudden drop in temperature and cold winds blowing outside has arrived in its full swing. While most of us follow ample of ways to keep away from common winter health problems, chances are that we don’t put much focus on taking good care of the most important and delicate part of our body i.e. eyes during these colder months of the year.
If you are one of those who think that eye care is not considered for winters, then please note that it is equally important in this cold season likewise in summers or monsoon. Know why?
Freezing and dry air blowing in the wintertime puts the following threat to the eyes:
- Eyes become dry and less moisturised
- Irritation and burning
- Difficulty in vision
- Redness and inflammation in the eye area
- Excess tearing and watery eyes
- Swollen eyes
These eye care problems are severe for those who already have sensitive, irritated or dry eyes. On that note, I have outlined a few of the best eye care tips that are worth considering. Check them out below.
Hydration is the cure to almost every health problem. As discussed above, dry weather in the winters sucks out the moisture from the eyes leaving them dry and with an increased rate of irritation, burning, or itching. All of these factors make it essential to drink plenty of water (at least 7-8 glasses everyday) for moistening up the dry eyes and stay away from the eye diseases generated during the cold season.
Manage the Indoor Temperature
It’s not only the temperature outside that affects your eyes but the high temperature people set indoors too. While warming up might provide relief for a while, sitting in the heat for a longer period evaporates the moisture from the eyes that increases dryness and irritation as well.
It worsens the situation for people who already have dry eyes, as a result, they find it difficult to produce tears. Therefore, you are required to keep your eyes moist by keeping the room temperature moderate.
Eat Good Food:
By good food, I mean eating food enriched with vitamin A, vitamin C, lutein, and beta carotene that improves the eye vision and help fight various eye problems.
Here are some of the many food items that should be in your everyday diet if you wish to keep your eyes healthy.
- Green leafy veggies like broccoli, spinach, kale, cucumber etc.
- Beans, Nuts, and legumes that are a great source of vitamin E (protect the eye from damage as you progress in age) and Zinc, an important mineral found in eyes
- Citrus fruits enriched with vitamin C like orange, kiwi, lemon, guava, grapefruits etc.
- Vitamin A enriched food items like Carrot, sweet potatoes, apricots etc.
- Fresh and chemical-free juices of the above-discussed fruits/veggies
Quit unhealthy eating habits like having unhealthy processed food, sugary beverages and limit your consumption of alcohol for a better physical, mental and spiritual health.
The influence of the sun is same throughout the year. Not only the excessive exposure to the harmful UV rays makes the eye feels uncomfortable, but it also makes them dry with other retina issues.
A smart choice is to wear quality sunglasses that can block UV rays hence cut the sun’s ability to directly harm the eyes. Besides that, wearing UV rays protected sunglasses also reduces the direct contact between your eyes and cold wind blowing outside.
Maintain Healthy Eye Hygiene
It is by far the most underrated eye care tip regardless of the season yet I believe it is the most important. This is because the dust particulates present in the atmosphere gets accumulated around our eye areas that have a major contribution to cause harm to our eyes.
If we keep our eyes clean and remove the makeup before going to bed, chances of eye issues reduce to a great extent. For that reason, wash your face properly simply with water before sleeping and observe the noticeable change by yourself.
Perform Eye Exercise
We are often glued to the computer screen, TV or our beloved smartphones without which we can’t imagine our life even for an hour! Right? Well, you are not alone since most of us are like this.
But sadly, it gives rise to constant eye strain and other associated eye problems. The dry air and low humidity also contributes to tired eyes that further makes us feel sluggish.
To get rid of this, I have hereby listed a few simple and easy exercises that will help to improve vision and reduce strain in the eyes.
Eye Exercises List
- Blink: Whenever you feel extra tired, start blinking your eyes constantly that will help you to produce tears and get away the feeling of itchy or dry eyes.
- Eye Rolling: Likewise, you roll your neck to lower down the stiffness in neck or shoulders, the same you gotta do for eye stretching. All you are supposed to do is close your eyes and move your eyeballs in a circular motion and observe the change by yourself.
- Massage your eyelids: Before tucking yourself in the blanket, close your eyes and massage your eyelids with your finger in a circular motion to provide relief.
- Place Your Palm Over Eyes: In order to reduce pain and eye strain, rub your hands to generate heat between your hands and put your palm over the eyes. Trust me, it will take away all your pain and feeling of discomfort. Highly recommended for the workaholic who spends hours sitting in front of a computer.
Other than the recommended eye care tips for winters, you can also follow these easy tips to keep your eyes healthy:
- Sit away from any direct heat source like a heater to avoid evaporation
- Use artificial tears that help provide moister to the eyes
- Use a humidifier to maintain required moisture in the room temperature
- Keep the eye drops handy to avoid any sudden irritation or discomfort in the eyes
Being careless towards your eyes can lead to excessive damage and in rare cases, the person may loss eyesight too. So, you need to adopt some measures accordingly if you want to preserve and improve your vision no matter what the season is. To be on a safer side, go for a monthly eye checkup to keep the eyes healthy and take enough rest.
Till then, enjoy the winter wonderland and keep yourself winter healthy.